About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Voters' Pamphlet Submission



I submitted the following “Candidate’s Statement” and “Experience” to the Secretary of State’s Office for the Primary Election Voters’ Pamphlet for the 48th District Senate.   However, they decided the 100 words I submitted for the Biography as “Experience” describing why my  own experiences as commuter "deserved more" wasn’t suitable for the pamphlet.


Candidate’s Statement


Bellevue and Redmond city councils, who could have disallowed permits Sound Transit needed for East Link, instead promoted a light rail extension that will devastate the route into Bellevue and increase, not decrease, I-90 cross-lake and corridor congestion.

That access for 48th District commuters will be limited to two stations, far from where most live.  That all but a tiny fraction of their huge increase in ST3 taxes will be spent extending Central Link to Everett and Tacoma.

That legislation is needed to limit the WSDOT I-405 HOT to a single lane where fees are raised to what’s required to maintain 45 mph with everyone allowed access to 2nd lane. 

48th District residents should demand “more” from those responsible.      



Experience
I’m a retired Boeing engineer who, with my wife of 53 years, has lived in our current home since 1967, where we raised two daughters.   A lot’s changed since then with very little of it good.  I can no longer catch a bus near my home and the Eastgate T/C is full well before I’d like to ride into Seattle.   Longer lines to get on I-90 are followed by increasing congestion on I-90 and I-405.  Meanwhile local roads are congested for much of the day because Microsoft is not required to provide off-campus parking for employees.  We deserve better.




No comments:

Post a Comment