About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Voters' Pamphlet Statement for Governor

 I’m filing as a candidate as I have for a decade, not to win but to use Voters’ Pamphlet to attract voters throughout state to my blog, http://stopeastlinknow.blogspot.com. It’s my attempt to make a difference by providing information voters won’t read or hear about elsewhere.  

For example, the purported need to reduce CO2 emissions.  The state only emits 1.5% of the country’s and 0.175% of the planets, hardly a climate crisis.  Forcing emitters to pay to continue only adds to the costs they’ll pass on to consumers.  Costs that will surely increase if the Climate Commitment Act isn’t repealed.

Voters don’t read or hear that WSDOT plans to impose HOT fees on two I-405 lanes will increase congestion on GP lanes and little to reduce HOV travel times. They need to allow GP use on one of the lanes and set fees on remaining HOV lane to achieve the 2000 vehicles per hour and 45mph that maximizes capacity.  

That Sound Transit intends to use 2016 ST3 approval for $54B from 2017 to 2041 to spend $145B from 2041 to 2046 and end with $28B owed.  The resulting light rail spine won’t have the capacity to reduce I-5 peak hour congestion and will cost too much to operate off peak.  Their plans to use light rail trains to replace bus routes will reduce transit capacity into Seattle, do nothing to reduce GP lane congestion, and riders transferred will reduce access for current riders.

They plan to spend $12.5B and ten or more years disrupting Seattle for light rail trains from Ballard to Sodo. The area already has excellent bus service and terminating East Link and West Seattle at the existing CID station benefits both areas and avoids the need for a second tunnel.

My blog provides the details.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment