About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Thursday, February 24, 2022

A 2nd Tunnel Alternative and More

The previous post detailed how terminating East Link at International District/Chinatown station would allow West Seattle to use DSTT.   I-90 corridor transit commuters would use BRT routes, bypassing Mercer Island, into Seattle rather than light rail.   

This post opines the Ballard Link could be a tunnel that would terminate at the Westlake Station. I-5 commuters would also use BRT routes into Seattle rather than light rail. Terminating East Link and Ballard Link at International District/Chinatown and Westlake would end the need for a second tunnel under downtown Seattle.  

 

Both I-5 and I-90 BRT routes would have access to a Seattle T/C. 4th Ave could be converted into an elongated bus-only T/C with multiple stops on both sides from Pine Steet to Yesler. During peak hours, I-5 and I-90 commuters at each P&R would have access to a BRT route directly to two or three designated stops along T/C for egress and access.  


Bus routes to and from each P&R could be scheduled to meet local demand providing commuters access to each P&R during peak commute. Off peak bus routes would include stops at all P&Rs on way into and on-demand stops on return. Those commuters could pay to reserve stalls to assure access to station and means to return home. 

 

The BRT routes could use 60 ft buses with 110 passenger capacity along a limited access lane. During peak hours they would use HOV lane requiring +3 carpools and HOT fees raised to limit traffic to 2000 vehicles per hour to assure 45 mph. 


The bottom line is the Northgate Link debut results, when released, will demonstrate the folly of attempting to use light rail extensions routed through the DSTT to reduce I-5 and I-90 congestion. They don’t have the capacity during peak commute and cost too much to operate during off-peak.  The DSTT capacity should be used by commuters with access to light rail stations in South Seattle, UW, Bellevue and Bel-Red, West Seattle, and Ballard. 


Funds planned for the light rail spine extensions and second tunnel should be diverted toward expediting West Seattle and Ballard light rail extensions. Add local bus routes to existing P&R lots with access to BRT routes on limited access I-5 and I-90 HOV lanes to a bus-only 4th Ave T/C. It’s only a question of when Sound Transit and the Seattle Times recognize that reality. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment