About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

My “Unexpected General Election Candidacy's” Goal


This year, I again “unexpectedly” find myself as a “possible” candidate on the ballot for this fall's general election.  Last year I was on the general election ballot because the two other candidates to replace Dow Constantine as King County Executive were even less viable.  The Seattle Times didn’t bother to interview me, yet, without spending a dime campaigning, my candidacy as a Republican attracted over 110,000 votes last fall. 

This year, as with my previous 6 candidacies for public office, I intended to use the primary election Voters’ Pamphlet” to attract attention to this blog.  Its 450 posts detail the failure of those responsible to effectively deal with the area’s transportation problem.  I filed as an Independent to avoid taking votes from my preferred choice, Rodney Tom, whom I assumed would be the Republican candidate on the general election ballot. 

Thus I was surprised when Tom filed as a Democrat.  I was even more surprised when the two Republicans, who had initially filed for the office withdrew, leaving me as the only non-Democrat on the ballot.  Apparently Tom’s position on social issues made him more comfortable filing as a Democrat.  I have no idea what prompted the two Republicans to withdraw. 

Once again the Times neglected to interview me.   However, even they agreed Tom was the better choice this fall.  Patty Kruderer’s support for a state bank apparently dissuaded them.  As a conservative I disagreed with several of her positions, but especially objected to her rationale for a capital gains tax.   Claiming, at a recent forum, that income from the sale of stocks should be taxable while the income a lawyer gets by selling (not giving) advice, or anyone who sells his labor to his employer shouldn’t.

I assumed Tom thought his support from Democrats and Republicans would enable him to win this fall.  However, a recent Kruderer campaign flier showed a large number of organizations in the Democratic establishment supported her.  Meanwhile, Tom’s fiscal conservatism may not be sufficient to persuade Republicans to vote for a Democrat during the primary.


Thus, while I had no expectation of being a candidate this fall and have no expectation of winning, I thought I’d detail how I intend to use my general election candidacy if on the ballot.   First I would try to convince 48th District residents to demand the Redmond city council demand Microsoft severely restrict the size of underground parking for their recently announced campus expansion.  

All the north/south roads in the area are currently clogged for much of the day from the 48,000 who currently work there.  Microsoft’s plans for an additional 8000 will certainly exacerbate the problem.  They should be required to greatly expand the Connector program, initially with large numbers of vans, Connector bus routes to existing P&R’s and eventually to Microsoft P&Rs, which likely will cost less than planned underground campus parking.

Second, I would try to persuade 48th District voters and the entire east side urge the legislature use its DOT oversight to require they limit HOT on the entire I-405 corridor to a single lane.  Their plans for two HOT lanes are apparently based on the absurd claim,  “HOT lanes can accommodate 35% more vehicles than GP lanes because tolls can be raised to prevent clogging.” 

The reality is restricting GP to three lanes between Bothell and Bellevue has increased congestion to where more commuters are willing to pay the tolls than the HOT lanes can accommodate and still achieve the promised 45 mph.   The DOT is considering raising the $10 current maximum to further limit HOT use.  While raising rates will limit HOT use, the DOT should be limited to doing so on a single lane, raising them to whatever is required to maintain the 45 mph and use the additional lane to reduce GP congestion.

The DOT plan to limit GP use to two lanes on the rest of the route will surely increase GP congestion there even more.  Even higher tolls won’t achieve the 45 mph on HOT lanes during much of the commute.  Again, tolls could be set on a single lane to assure 45 mph and the additional lane would reduce GP congestion.  The assured 45 mph on HOT lanes would also provide reliable bus transit routes, increasing public transit if Sound Transit could ever be persuaded to add parking and bus service. 

Third, it’s too late to stop Sound Transit from devastating the route into the into Bellevue for an East Link extension that will increase I-90 Bridge congestion.   However, 48th District residents and the entire east side should not be required to have the vast majority of their ST3 taxes spent on light rail extensions they’ll rarely use.  I would use my candidacy to urge voters demand Attorney General Ferguson require Sound Transit comply with the Revised Code of Washington (RCW).

RCW 81.104.100 requires high capacity transportation system planning consider “A do-nothing option and a low capital option that maximizes the current system”.   Yet, Sound Transit made no attempt to consider two-way bus only lanes on I-90 Bridge center roadway, or limiting an HOV lane along I-5 to buses during peak commute.  Both would have had 10 times light rail capacity at a fraction of the cost, 10 years sooner.  Thus it’s highly unlikely Sound Transit planning for extensions beyond UW or SeaTac would comply. 

While nothing can be done about the Northgate or Angle Lake extensions, Sound Transit’s should be required to comply with RCW before proceeding with ST3 extensions to Lynnwood and Federal Way.  As the "presumptive candidate" for governor Ferguson would likely feel compelled to respond.  Sound Transit’s “likely” failure to comply with the order would keep billions of ST3 funds from being wasted on light rail extensions that will do nothing to reduce congestion and also eliminate the huge operating cost deficits with the longer routes. 

Funds that would have been wasted extending light rail could be used to add the tens of thousands of parking stalls and bus routes needed to provide the increased public transit capacity.  The only way to reduce congestion on all the major roadways; something Sound Transit has refused to do for years.  

As with my previous 6 candidacies, my candidacy is my way to make a difference.  Being on the ballot this fall enhances my ability to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment