About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

King County Executive Candite's Voter's Pamphlet Statement

 My candidacy this year for King County Executive, like my previous 9 candidacies, is with no expectation or desire to win, but to inform voters.  This year the Northgate Link debut in September will vindicate those attempts to prevent Sound Transit from extending light rail routed through the DSTT beyond UW station, across I-90 Bridge, or beyond SeaTac.

Northgate operation will do nothing to reduce I-5 congestion into Seattle.  It will force I-5 commuters to transfer to and from light rail for the commute into and out of Seattle.  During peak commute those riders will limit access for University Link riders.  During off-peak, trains will be essentially empty and operating cost will soar.  The Northgate Link problems will be dwarfed when East link debuts in 2023, splitting DSTT capacity between I-90 Bridge and Central Link south.

ST has spent a decade refusing to increase transit ridership with added parking with access to increased bus capacity on I-5 and I-90 corridors.  Instead continues to spend hundred of millions annually on extensions beyond Northgate, Angel Lake, and Overlake that won't increase transit capacity rather than extensions to West Seattle and Ballard that would.

My candidacy this year is to also offer county residents the option of voting for someone who shares their concern with Democrats dominating state and local governments and most of the media.  Don't believe "white  supremacy is the country's top security threat".  Don't believe the country is systemically racist or that teaching the 1619 Project or Critical Race Theory  benefits the country.  Believes police departments need to be appreciated not defunded.

Also recognizes the futility of the state's attempt to reduce CO2 emission when the entire country only emits 15% of the total and that energy for EV batteries comes from fossil-fueled power plants.     

No comments:

Post a Comment