About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Sound Transit and WSDOT Incompetence to BDA


(I submitted the following to the Bellevue Reporter)

Letters,
The transit official comments in the March 1, Bellevue Reporter article, “Transit Officials talk current future projects at BDA event” exemplifies the failure of Sound Transit and WSDOT to deal with I-405 congestion.  While they identify the problem, 52,000 new residents in King and Snohomish counties between April 2017 and April 2018, their proposed solutions will do absolutely nothing to reduce either current or future congestion.

For example Sound Transit plans for I-405 bus rapid transit (BRT).  When it  begins operation in 2024, Sound Transit describes it as “a bus system with the speed of a light rail system, faster than a conventional bus system by using fewer stops, higher speeds, off-vehicle fare collection, dedicated lanes and priority at traffic signals. 

First there’s no reason for Sound Transit to wait until 2024 to implement I-405 BRT.  When I-405 BRT does begin operation, it will be nothing like what Sound Transit promises.  The ST 3 plans for I-405 BRT calls for spending $812--$869 million on a 38 mile route with 11 stops between Lynnwood and Burien. There’s no reason to believe BRT will be faster than a “conventional” bus.  

ST3 adds 3 new stations (additional stops!) with $300 million spent on a NE 85th St Station near Kirkland that has no parking for access.   ST3 does nothing to provide BRT access for I-405 commuters from north of Lynnwood or from south of South Center.  When operation begins in 2024, ST3 I-405 BRT will consist of one bus every 10 minutes, a fraction of what’s needed to reduce congestion.

Rather than a “dedicated lane”, Sound Transit I-405 BRT will use HOT lanes. The number 1 "Risk" in the Sound Transit 3 map  for I-405 is "It relies on WSDOT to maintain adequate speed and reliability of I-405 express toll lane system".  Yet, the 16-mile commute between Lynnwood and Bellevue on HOT lanes took 33 minutes (per WSDOT Jan 23 7:55 am Traffic Report).  Clearly WSDOT 2 HOT lanes don't assure 45 mph on I-405 during peak commute.  The 7 bus stops would presumably add 10 or more minutes to the commutes.   (ST3 BRT on I-405 from Burien to Bellevue would likely have similar delays).

Clearly ST3 I-405 BRT is not what the BDA was told they were getting.  I-405 BRT should consist of express bus routes from each P&R, not only those along I-405, but along I-5 north of Lynnwood and south of South Center to either Bellevue or Overlake T/C.   Rather than buying just 34 buses, Sound Transit should spend ST3 funds adding whatever buses are required to implement BRT routes as needed to meet individual station demands. 

I-405 BRT doesn’t need “dedicated lanes,” just HOT implemented on a single HOV lane with fees raised to limit the number of drivers willing to pay to where traffic is limited to the 2000 vehicles per hour needed to assure 45 mph.  The increased HOT fees would assure BRT commute times and the added GP lane would reduce congestion for those unwilling or unable to pay the tolls. The reduced travel times from the lack of intermediate stops and 45 mph commute would attract thousands of riders, the only way to reduce I-405 congestion.   

The bottom line is the claim, “WSDOT projects that the improvements along with bus rapid transit will vastly improve traffic congestion along I-405 by 2025” is patently absurd. Rather than waiting until 2024 for I-405 BRT, Sound Transit should use the $300 million they plan to spend on a Kirkland T/C (with no access to parking) to buy additional buses.  Use some of the buses to route commuters from near where they live to  P&Rs.  Use the remaining buses to implement BRT direct routes on an HOT lane from P&R lots to Bellevue or Overlake T/C. 

The WSDOT approach to tolls is equally absurd.  The 2 HOT lanes they've implemented on I-405 between Lynnwood and Bothell have failed to provide the 45 mph for many commuters.  The problem being the second HOT lane increases congestion on the remaining 3 GP lanes to where more drivers are willing to pay the tolls than the lane can accommodate  for 45 mph.   WSDOT plans to limit GP  traffic to two lanes between Bellevue and Renton along with future traffic growth will surely exacerbate the problems on both GP and HOT lanes along the entire route.

The "WSDOT is only waiting for the state legislature to fully authorize the express toll lane project before beginning the construction phase."  Area commuters can only hope that never happens.  That instead the legislature should mandate WSDOT limit I-405 HOT to one lane.

Bill Hirt
Bellevue





No comments:

Post a Comment