About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Friday, August 9, 2013

The End of the Blog



(changed my mind)
Maybe I’m an optimist but I consider the nearly 1500 votes for the Bellevue City Council a clear indication of concern about Sound Transit policies.  My BCC candidacy as well as last years 48th district candidacy has never been about getting votes but attracting attention to this blog.  I’m gratified the 120 posts have attracted more than 11,000 page views since it started in May of 2012 with the “Case Against East Link”.   The blog goal of stopping East Link has expanded to also include stopping all of the Central Link extensions beyond the UW and SeaTac.  (I believe the lack of response from the Seattle Transit blog to any of these posts attests to the validity of my concerns.)

Emails to the Sound Transit Board members referring them to this blog have or should have made them aware of my concerns.   The members of the Joint Legislative Committee on Transportation, the King County Council, the Seattle City and the Bellevue City Council have also been referred to the blog as well as both the Seattle Times and Bellevue Reporter.  Presumable they account for many of the more than 11,000 page views.

Thus a large number of viewers are aware of the problems with Sound Transit current policies, how changes to theses policies could benefit the entire areas transportation future, and what might be done to make these changes a reality.  However, there is very little new I could add in future posts and am therefore ending this blog; gratified so many chose to vote for me in support knowing I had no chance (or desire) to win.   This effort has never been personal.  I live nowhere near any potential tracks and rarely use I-90 Bridge.  It’s my way to try to “make a difference”. Only time will tell whether my effort succeeded.  
(changed my mind)





No comments:

Post a Comment