About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Candidacy for Bellevue City Council


This week marks the one-year anniversary for this blog and my initial foray into elective office in an attempt to use the “Voters’ Pamphlet” to attract attention to it.  On Tuesday I filed for Position No 4 on the Bellevue City Council in a further attempt to warn residents about Sound Transit.  I did so reluctantly because I’m far more competent with a computer keyboard than a speaker’s podium.  Again, it’s not about winning, it's my way to make a difference rather than personal since I live nowhere near the route and rarely drive into Seattle. 

This blog, which started with the initial 5/15/12 post “The Case Against East Link”, an effort to stop East Link, now includes 101 posts detailing how Sound Transit problems go way beyond East Link.  The blog posts explain Sound Transit not only made a monumental blunder with East Link when they neglected to consider bus rapid transit, (BRT) for cross-lake mass transit, their whole Proposition 1 proposal for extending Central Link south towards Federal Way and north towards Lynnwood is fundamentally flawed.

Last year the Voters’ Pamphlet “neglected” to include my blog presumably reducing my audience.  Since the election I’ve attempted to attract attention from those in more responsible positions via emails to Sound Transit Board, King County Council, State Legislative Joint Transportation Committee, Bellevue City Council, Seattle Times and Bellevue Reporter.  My response has been limited to a “out of office” notice from Joni Earl’s office, and “thanks for the information” from a King County Council person and two legislators.   However my weekly audience has grown from a few dozen last year to an average of more than 200 this year with 5000 page views since the election.  It seems likely that many of those I emailed are, or should be aware of my concerns.

My hope had been that 4 years of personal appearances before the BCC and countless emails would convince them to use the permitting process to stop East Link.  Their recent agreement with Sound Transit ended that hope (See 5/11/13 Post).   Numerous other posts; 3/23/13, 3/29/13, 4/15/13, 4/26/13, and 5/01/13 have detailed problems with the entire Prop 1 program.

What Sound Transit officials called Prop 1 approval in 2008, “A gift to our Grandchildren” will turn out to be a massive public debt with ever increasing subsidies to support a fatally flawed light rail system.  My candidacy and this blog is an attempt to make more people aware of that reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment