About this blog

My name is Bill Hirt and I'm a candidate to be a Representative from the 48th district in the Washington State legislature. My candidacy stems from concern the legislature is not properly overseeing the WSDOT and Sound Transit East Link light rail program. I believe East Link will be a disaster for the entire eastside. ST will spend 5-6 billion on a transportation project that will increase, not decrease cross-lake congestion, violates federal environmental laws, devastates a beautiful part of residential Bellevue, creates havoc in Bellevue's central business district, and does absolutely nothing to alleviate congestion on 1-90 and 405. The only winners with East Link are the Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington and their labor unions.

This blog is an attempt to get more public awareness of these concerns. Many of the articles are from 3 years of failed efforts to persuade the Bellevue City Council, King County Council, east side legislators, media, and other organizations to stop this debacle. I have no illusions about being elected. My hope is voters from throughout the east side will read of my candidacy and visit this Web site. If they don't find them persuasive I know at least I tried.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Blog Lives On


The campaign for most of the candidates will be ending in a few days.  My campaign has never been about the upcoming elections but to use the Voters’ Pamphlet to attract attention to this blog about Sound Transit policies in general and their East Link program in particular.  Unfortunately those responsible for the Voters’ Pamphlet have not been particularly helpful.   The general election pamphlet didn’t include my blog address or my biography.  However, I’m still pleased with the large number to those who have viewed this blog.

This has never been personal with me as I don’t live near any light rail route and I never use I-90 Bridge during peak commute.  I’m doing what I can because its’ my way to make a difference and because I know in the end I’ll be vindicated.   If East Link is allowed to proceed, many cross-lake commuters will be surprised in 2016 when Sound Transit closes down the center roadway to install light rail. (As well as begin the devastation along the route into Bellevue.) They will not be happy when they are forced to endure the inevitable congestion and frequent gridlock on the outer roadways.  However, I’m betting they will be enraged when after 7 years of construction they realize the billions spent on East Link will have such a miniscule effect on their commute.

Still, contrary to what many believe, East Link is not a fait accompli.   Serious construction doesn’t begin until at least 2016.  The Bellevue City Council can still refuse to approve permits ST needs for construction. (That’s what so pernicious about BCC current negotiations with ST concerning permits.  Why the big rush?)    The Build a Better Bellevue and Enatai and Surrey Downs residents can proceed with their suit.  Someone in the media or some legislator (I’m pretty sure it won’t be me) will make such an issue of ST incompetence and mendacity they will be forced to drop East Link. 

Until that happens this blog will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment